Senior Legal Counsel
Toku is growing rapidly and on a mission to scale. The Legal function plays a critical role in enabling the business to achieve its goals in a safe, compliant and strategically optimized manner. We are looking for a motivated, bright and capable Senior Counsel to join our growing Legal team and support the expansion of our operations in APAC.
As part of the Business Enablement arm, the legal department is a core part of the business. Members of the team provide front-line guidance and support to all areas of the company, contributing to decisions that impact Toku’s growth every day.
Reporting directly to our Chief Legal Officer, you will support the business on a wide range of transactional and compliance related matters. You will also play an important role in helping establish the processes and practices of the Legal department. To be successful in the organisation, you should be a team player, curious about the business, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working in an inclusive and diverse environment and must be a creative, lateral thinker. You should be able to look at your responsibilities and develop your legal guidance in a practical, commercially focussed manner, helping the business achieve its goals while appropriately managing risk.
What would you be doing?
- Negotiating, drafting, and closing cloud and software licensing and technology agreements and related matters such as reseller agreements, subscription agreements, teaming / consortium agreements, subcontractor agreements, RFP responses, statements of work, direct and indirect licensing agreements, alliance/partnership agreements, MSAs and framework agreements, enterprise software and support agreements, marketing agreements, and distribution/channel agreements.
- Negotiating, drafting and closing carrier services agreements, including with Tier 1 and 2 providers across APAC.
- Preparation of standard templates for recurring commercial transactions and to address new business models or legal and business requirements.
- Managing data privacy and data security-related issues, as well as telecom regulatory issues (i.e. anti-spoofing rules and regulations, etc).
- Monitor changes to regulatory requirements and proactively handle regulatory developments.
- Engaging with regulators and government agencies in Singapore (i.e. IMDA, PDPC) and across APAC.
- Counselling and collaborating with business/sales clients, marketing, finance and other business functions as necessary to effectively and efficiently accomplish assignments and to ensure that best practices are followed.
- Support the corporate secretarial function, including assisting with the preparation of board and committee materials and maintaining legal, compliance, corporate governance, and other corporate records.
- Identify and consult on legal risks in connection with the development of new products.
- Manage and liaise with specialist external counsel.
- Ad hoc duties as directed by management.
We would love to hear from you if you meet the following criteria:
- You must possess a law degree from an accredited law school and be licensed to practice law in good standing in at least one jurisdiction.
- At least 5-7 years of experience working in a law firm or as an in-house counsel in the commercial domain in APAC.
- Prior experience in the technology space (working with SaaS/ telco company).
- Experience in data privacy matters and their impact on business relationships is a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work well within a start-up type environment with internal/ external stakeholders.
- High degree of independence, initiative, and decisiveness.
- Enthusiasm and drive for delivering results.
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to demonstrate sound legal and business judgment, even in ambiguous situations.
- Thrive working in a fast-paced, high pressure, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex legal concepts effectively and efficiently to internal stakeholders.
What would you get?
- Hybrid working environment
- Training and Development
- Competitive salary
- Discretionary Yearly Bonus & Salary Review
- Fantastic Career Growth Opportunities
- Healthcare Coverage (based on location)
- 20 days Paid Annual Leave (excluding Bank holidays)
So, if you are talented, think you tick most of the requirements, and would love to experience working in a start-up growing at an accelerated speed, join us!